Complete the evaluation as honestly and openly as you can.
This evaluation needs to be completed by the pastor, the children’s ministry coordinator, and a parent individually. Use additional paper as needed for the evaluation. Use the evaluation to guide your process and thinking toward a Children’s Council and ministries for children in your congregation and community. Please attach a flyer, brochure, or outline of the Children’s Ministries of your church?
Congregational Children’s Ministries Evaluation
• In each Sunday School classroom is there age appropriate furniture?
• In each Sunday School classroom are there age appropriate toys?
• In each Sunday School classroom are the walls clean, do they have a mural, or are they blank?
• Is there a picture of Jesus in each Sunday School classroom and in the nursery?
• Is there a worship center in each Sunday School classroom?
• Is there a Bible and a Cross in each Sunday School classroom?
• Can the children touch everything in the classroom?
• What curriculum is currently being used in each age level?
• Are the teachers comfortable using the curriculum?
• Is the curriculum working?
• Is there training offered for those using the curriculum?
• Do the children understand who Jesus is according to their age?
• How is the curriculum working?
• What are the ages of the children in the Children’s Ministries?
• Are DVDs/ VHSs used as supplementary materials or as actually teaching materials?
• Is the Bible in use in the curriculum?
• Do the children read from and use the Bible during Sunday School?
• Is there a resource room available and accessible to Sunday School teachers?
• Is the resource room neat and orderly?
• Is there a library for resources?
• Is there a library with children’s books and videos?
• Are children aware and taught of the church seasons?
• What programs are available outside of Sunday School?
• Are the same children participating in Sunday School as the programs?
• Is there a Children’s Church?
• Is Children’s Church age appropriate?
• Do the children stay in worship?
• What kind of leadership do you have for programs outside of Sunday School?
• Is there appropriate space for Children’s Ministries programs?
• Are there outreach/missions programs involving children?
• Is there choir or music for children?
• Are there discipleship classes for children?
• How are children cared for during meetings, worship, and other activities of the church?
• Are those who care for children in the nursery or during worship, meetings, and other activities of the church CPR trained?
• Where are children cared for during meetings? Worship and other meetings of the
• Does your church offer Vacation Bible School?
• Is your VBS community oriented?
• Is your VBS mission oriented?
• Does your VBS teach about Jesus?
• Are children taught to pray?
• Are children taught how to pray?
• Are children encouraged to pray?
• Is there a playground for children?
• Is the playground safe and supervised at all times children are present?
• Is the playground accessible?
• Is the playground age appropriate?
• Is the playground used during Sunday School?
• Is the playground used outside of Sunday School?
• Is there a play space with grass?
• Do you share space with a Day Care or Parents Day Out program?
• How do you share?
• Is the sharing compatible or are there kinks to be worked out?
• Do you reach out those attending the Day Care or Parents Day Out program?
• Are your classrooms safe for each age level using the room?
• Is there a check-in and check-out process for young children?
• Do children wait on parents or do they wander around the building?
• Are there name badges used by employees and other workers?
• Are the classrooms welcoming to children?
• Are the classroom well lighted?
• Are there adult/staff monitors in the hallways where there are children?
• Do you have a Safe Sanctuaries Policy?
• Do you use your Safe Sanctuaries policy?
• How many teachers per age level and classroom?
• Is teacher training available for teachers annually?
• Are the teachers prepared for class and present at least 10 minutes before class time?
• Are the teachers welcoming to the class?
• Do the teachers sit with the class or up above or away from the class?
• Do the teachers enjoy working with the age level they are teaching?
• Do the teachers participate in worship regularly – weekly, monthly, yearly?
• Do teachers understand their Christian heritage?
• How do teachers express their personal faith in Jesus Christ?
• Is there teacher appreciation shown at least once a year?